A Summary of the Construction Process when Building with Modular Homes
After choosing a reputable and experienced modular home dealer or contractor, you will likely have a much smoother home building process by following the sequence of steps below:
Pre-Construction Phase I
1. Determine your Budget by getting pre-approved for a loan. Choose a construction lender that understands the special factory payment schedule with modular construction. You may ask your dealer or contractor for recommendations.
2. Find a smart Real Estate Agent to help you find a build-able lot. Ask a friend for a referral, or try realtor.com.
3. Have the dealer or a general contractor evaluate your lot to determine the issues and costs to build on it.
4. Choose a house model and options that fit your lot and budget.
5. Sign a contract with the dealer/contractor to lock in your price.
6. Close your loan in order to start the construction process.
Construction Phase II
7. Survey your lot.
8. Conduct a soils test if necessary.
9. Conduct a perc test for the septic system if necessary or applicable.
10. Hire an engineer to design your foundation and septic system if necessary or applicable.
11. Submit utility service applications.
12. Hire an engineer to design your fire sprinkler system if required.
13. Obtain well and septic permits if required or applicable.
14. Obtain a grading permit if required.
15. Obtain a tree removal permit if applicable or required.
16. Apply for Building Permits.
17. Grade your lot and building pad.
18. Drill your well if applicable.
19. Install your septic system if applicable.
20. Have your surveyer stake out the foundation.
21. Build your foundation and let the concrete cure for 28 days after it is poured.
22. Release the home to be produced by the factory while the concrete is curing.
23. Take delivery of the home to a staging/storage area near or on your property.
24. Set and assemble the modules on foundation.
25. Build your attached garage.
26. Finish the exterior of the home.
27. Connect utilities to the home.
28. Finish the interior of the home.
29. Pour your driveway, walkways, steps, and other concrete flat work.
30. Conduct finish grading of your lot.
31. Install your air conditioner if necessary.
32. Complete landscaping and fencing as required or desired.
33. Obtain your Certificate of Occupancy by obtaining final approvals from the required government agencies.
34. Roll your construction loan into a permanent loan.
35. Move in and enjoy your new home! Don’t forget to complete regular maintenance and upkeep to protect the growing value of your investment.
How long does it take? Depending on the site conditions, location, and home selected, it usually ranges between 5 and 18 months to complete the entire process, phases one and two combined.
© Altamont Homes, Inc. 2006
AltamontHomes.com (800) 434-3380